Free! (except for book purchase)
Register now. Begins January 7, 2019
By John Bradford* and George Rogers
- 16 habitat-based lessons View the course at:
- You’ll need our book: Guide to the Native Plants of Florida’s Treasure Coast by John Bradford and George Rogers. To see the book, open Lesson 1, and click the link to the book vendor http://www.blurb.com. We make zero money from the book—any revenue supports our web site fees and printing costs, and nothing more. Order now—delivery is slow.
- Grab a field companion. For each habitat type you take a field trip on your own with camera in hand. We list suggested field sites on the course web site. Most habitats span multiple lessons, so you DO NOT need a field trip for each lesson. Your cell phone camera is fine.
- The class evolved in Palm Beach and Martin counties. Students from anywhere are welcome, although the lessons are geographically biased.
- There’s a quiz each lesson, and three exams.
- The mission is learning to recognize wild plants. There is no attention to gardening, to landscaping, or to environmental issues.
- Certificates of completion will be available to successful completers.
- We proceed a lesson a week. We ask that participants keep up, although flexibility when “life intrudes” is the policy. So feel free to take a trip or get the Plague.
To register or for more information George Rogers (firstname.lastname@example.org). STOP! BEFORE REGISTERING read lesson 1 on www.nativeplantclass.weebly.com. Make sure you know what you are getting into. We’re not nice about people who register, take a seat, and then vanish! If you are “in,” order the book with 3 weeks lead time.
Why a free class? Merely good green fun. We have no interest in quibbling or rudeness, and anybody who can’t help keep it pleasant will get the boot! This on-line class is an open-enrollment public-access derivative of George Rogers’s “Plants of Florida Ecosystems” (ORH2511) taught on-line and in the field at Palm Beach State College in Palm Beach Gardens.
*John Bradford, although a co-creator of the class materials, will not be available for the Spring 2019 session. Don’t worry, he’s not having a problem, and yes we are getting along. In Lesson 1 please note that instead of to John all assignments are sent to George this session.